IB Primary Years Programme (PYP)
What is the Primary Years Program?
The IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) is a curriculum framework for students aged three to 12 years. The student-centered, developmentally appropriate programme provides children with opportunities to explore knowledge, concepts, and skills across six disciplines (Math, Science, Social Studies, Language, Physical/Social-Emotional Learning, and the Arts) and through the exploration of six transdisciplinary themes:
Who We Are
How We Express Ourselves
Where We Are in Place and Time
How the World Works
How We Organize Ourselves
Sharing the Planet
The PYP is rooted in the IB Learner Profile Attributes, which emphasize the development of internationally-minded citizens who actively contribute to the global community.
PYP at Agassiz
In 2017-18 school year, Agassiz began the three-year authorization process to offer the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students from Preschool to Grade 5. In January 2021, Agassiz was fully authorized to offer the PYP and now offers all students a wall to wall IB education! Throughout this IB continuum, we strive to:
- Cultivate a love of learning in the academics, the athletics, and the arts.
- Support all students across the IB continuum using the IB Learner Profile Attributes as the foundation.
- Develop student ownership and responsibility for their learning.
- Inspire and support students to take meaningful action as a result of their learning.
- Engage students, parents, teachers, and staff in creating a school community that is welcoming, inclusive, and has a shared mission to create a more peaceful world.
*Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP), or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.
PYP Student Highlights