Local School Council
The Agassiz Local School Council (LSC) is a publicly-elected council of parents, teachers, school staff, and community representatives that oversees the school budget, planning and improvements, and the hiring and evaluation of the school principal.*
Key Council Responsibilities
- School improvement planning: Developing and approving the school Continuous Improvement Work Plan (CIWP)
- School budget: Developing and approving the school’s budget and discretionary funds, including yearly approval of the Supplemental Grant of State Aid (SGSA) budget
- Principal selection: Principals are hired for a 4-year contract, at the end of which they are either rehired or replaced by the LSC
- Principal evaluation: Conducting performance evaluations of the Principal throughout the 4-year contract
In addition to these four primary responsibilities, our LSC is devoted to and involved in many other areas of school improvement. In order to better focus on these specific areas, the LSC forms committees. Anyone interested in serving on an LSC committee may join. You do not need to be elected to join a committee or attend meetings.
Current Council Members
- Megan Mortensen, Chair, Parent Representative
- Adam Shane, Vice Chair, FOIA/OMA Officer, Parent Representative
- Carrie George, Co-Secretary, Parent Representative
- Stephanie Sellers, Co-Secretary, Parent Representative
- Marilyn Rosario-Caro, Non-Teaching Staff Member Representative
- Nicholas Hall, Teacher Representative
- David Rench, Teacher Representative
- Tyler Huffman, Parent Representative
- Tom Driscoll, Parent Representative
- Alex Lipman , Community Representative
- Mac LeBuhn, Community Representative
- Mira Weber, Principal
Check the school calendar for meeting details, dates, and times.
Please feel free to contact the Agassiz LSC at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and comments.
The Chicago Board of Education has adopted a Code of Ethics to ensure board members, LSC members, employees, and contractors act in the highest ethical manner in order to preserve the public trust of residents and taxpayers.
The Agassiz LSC usually meets at 6:30 PM on the first Wednesday of the month. Meetings are open to the public, and time is allotted for public comments.
Whether you are a parent, staff member, or local community member, we encourage you to attend, and welcome your input!
Run for LSC
*Formed in the 1980s as part of Chicago public school reform, Local School Councils were designed to give greater oversight and control to individual schools and their communities, and are required by law.
Each Local School Council consists of 11 elected members (six parent representatives, two teacher representatives, two community representatives, and one non-teaching staff member) and the school principal.
- All eleven elected members of the LSC serve a two-year term; the school principal has a permanent seat on the council
- Principals are hired for a 4-year contract, at the end of which they are either rehired or replaced by the LSC
- Members of the school faculty and staff elect the teacher and non-teaching staff member representatives
- Community representatives must reside within the school attendance area, but not have a child at the school